Thursday, August 14, 2008

Thin Skin Thursday.

Nobody likes criticism, but I like to think I'm pretty practical about the source, the truth, and the intent, so I usually take it in stride. I try not to let things get to me, but perhaps it's my current state of exhaustion, the job, and the bad day yesterday that carried over despite 11 hours of sleep. I've compiled some comments said to me in the past couple days that are really digging at my heart. Perhaps if I write them down, I'll get over it and I can quickly flush my pity pot.

What was said

What I heard

What was (probably) meant

“I’ve always liked that sweater on you!”“You’ve had that sweater a very long time!”“Geez, she's wearing that again??”
“You must be really busy these days.”“You look horrible.”“You have bags under your eyes and dark circles, get some rest.”
“You’re wearing your hair darker these days.”“Going to get your roots done soon?”“Your roots have grown out and I’m not sure I like it or I’d have said that I did and not what I did say.”
“If there’s anything I can do to help you out, please let me know.”“I’m totally inept at anything you would remotely need, but I got a bad evaluation and I’m trying to suck up for the next one.”“I’m giving you lip service because I was told by ___ that my communication skills stink.”

“You’re usually a lot more tan. No tennis this summer?”

“Hey Queen of Pale, ever heard of Vitamin D?”“You’re a hermit. A very pale hermit.”
Tea tonight: Jasmine