Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Me, a Respectable Sinner

Still thinking stewing prayerfully pondering about Bible study last night on the seemingly oxymoronic book Respectable Sins. It's about confronting the sins we tolerate in ourselves and others - you know, things other than like being an ax murderer or robbing banks. It's really fascinating and soul-baring. Some of things we talked about:

Worry.
Shame.
Pride.
Envy.
Guilt.
Ridicule.
Unhappiness (huh? yep.)
White lies (as in "no, your butt doesn't look fat in those pants").
Coveting.
Gossip.
Unthankfulness.
Telling someone you'll do something, then you don't.

Those were a few of the things we discussed, but I haven't gotten too deep in the book yet. It was such a powerful evening for me and I'm really enjoying the book along with the referenced Bible passages. My favorite reflection thus far is Galatians 5:22-23. It's such a good starting place for all of our daily actions (and reactions) to things, and how we are supposed to treat others on a daily basis.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

There was one really sweet girl there who is bearing the burden of a "Mean Girls" sort of experience, and is taking steps in her life to slowly move beyond it. Oh how I felt for her, but am so encouraged that she found peace and comfort in the group. What was really neat was that we ranged in age from 20ish to 50ish (yes, I was close to the oldest one there) and yet we had so many things in common and things to share. Perspective is everything. Looking at something with someone else's eyes can totally change the view. After mulling the Fruits of the Spirit over in my mind, I sure would like to see how Jesus sees things that I see. Or perhaps I wouldn't.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A perspective on prayer from one of the pastors at one of the churches on my "Someday I'm Going to Visit" list:

Sometimes prayer moves the hand of God, but it often changes the hearts of men and women as in prayer we capture something of God’s heart and are brought into agreement with and trust in Him.

Wow, that works for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now something from the Are you serious??? category:
Margarita and Bloody Mary mix in the Food Bank??? I'm not getting that one.

But it's still a place where God lurks in every corner. I saw Him everywhere.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Finally, why in the world does the label inside the fly of my capris I'm wearing today say "Find Adventure, Find Yourself?" I wonder if the previous owner asked that same question at some point. Just wonderin'.....

Tea today: White cantaloupe