Monday, June 8, 2009

Love from LuckyPuppy at the Bridge

Dear Mom and Dad,

I'm at the Rainbow Bridge now. It's so beautiful here - I know you are very sad and your tears feel like the soft, gentle rain that fell while you were burying me this morning, swaddled snugly in the boys' old bedspread. Please know I'm running and playing like a puppy again. I have no pain. I don't limp or fall and the rabbits actually let me catch them up here! But I just play with them, because up here, they are special, too. All of God's creatures are free to run and play without fear. And I am no longer afraid of people with sunglasses.

My nearly 15 years of being a part of our family were the best any puppy could have had. I remember well the day Mom and KT came to pick me up after my birth mom was killed by a car and I had to fight my brothers and sisters for food in that barn. Yes, I was the runt, but KT knew right away I was meant for our family. She and the boys loved me so much; they never turned away my kisses. I always hated it when you sniffed my feet though. I never understood why you thought my feet smelled like Fritos.

Dad, the time we spent together was precious. Like sleeping very late, especially on cold winter mornings. And playing in the yard while you worked so hard to get the pond in tip-top shape for Mom. It's fitting that I should be physically buried in a place we all love so much. I loved laying under the crab apple tree and just feeling the cool grass on my tummy. (And while you were digging today, I heard you say you felt like Tony Soprano. Stop it, Dad, - not even close)!

I'm really sorry for the "stink bomb" I left on your new suit that day you took me along when you interviewed President Rawlings, just because I was a new puppy and you simply didn't want to leave me alone. And for all the "pupkiss" I left on the windows of your truck (except I agree with Mom - you never really noticed it). I just wasn't a very good traveler, but I sure loved being with you! I loved boat rides! And that present I left in your truck on our way up to Dr. Taylor's today? That was one last special gift to you!

Mom, you were the one who always walked and walked me. Wasn't that fun? I never got tired! Oh, the places we'd go! And when I got a little lame, you so gently carried me home, even though at almost 60 pounds, I know I was a bit heavy for you. But you just kept saying
"You're not heavy, I'm your mother!" Remember when I ate the entire WonderRoast chicken you bought for Dad, bones and all? And how about when I ate all of Ben's graduation mints while you guys were at church - and threw them up all over the carpet just before the party? And yet I always felt forgiven, loved, and pampered. Especially these last few months when you made me chicken and vegetable stew since I couldn't eat my dog food. Not too many puppies have a personal chef. Those sweet potatoes were my favorite!

Yes, you are the best family any puppy could ask for.

You will hear my tags jingle, even now that I'm gone. You are not imagining it. I'm shaking them for you, just to tell you I love you, and to keep your chin up. I know you miss me terribly, and I miss you, too, but really, I am at peace and romping just like I did in this beautiful video Dad made in my honor.


Thank you for all of the gentle, loving care. A puppy was never loved as much as I was.

My paws are together in prayer; we will meet again.
LuckyPuppy
Tea today: Green with lemongrass

17 comments:

Gitz 'n Jo said...

oh, i am so so sorry, Candy. i know the love, but i can't even imagine the loss. sending you so much love today...

vanilla said...

Writing through my tears. What a beautiful tribute to his family from LuckyPuppy. And what a beautiful tribute your post is to the love of a family for its four-legged member.

Beth E. said...

Good ol' Lucky....he led a quite colorful life, didn't he? Sounds like he lived up to his name. :-)

Love and prayers,
Beth E.

Billy Coffey said...

So, so sorry Candy. When you get to the gate, he'll be standing there next to Peter, waiting to give you a big, wet, sloppy kiss.

I promise.

Candy said...

@Billy - I sure hope so. Revelations says there are only sheeps and wolves in heaven....but I'm counting on Lucky being there.

Thanks all for your kind words. I really didn't think it would be this hard. Being his "doggy hospice nurse" for 6 months made it more difficult I think.

Wendy said...

Again, I'm so sorry for the loss of your four-legged family member. Loved the video tribute. Now I need some tissue.

Boozy Tooth said...

Oh Candy! My heart swelled and broke all at the same time. I know Lucky was close to the bridge for awhile, but I just never wanted him to cross.

Your loving tribute brought tears streaming down my face. So sweet. It won't be too terribly long before Augie is romping with Lucky. I know they'll be good buddies.

Much love and comfort to you my sweet friend.

-stephanie- said...

I tried not to cry, but it didn't happen. So sad for your loss. He was a lucky puppy to be loved so much by your family.

Elaine at Matters of the Heart) said...

Oh Candy, I am so sorry to hear this. My heart aches for you. I know how hard it is too loose a part of the family like that. I will be praying you are comforted. It is so true, he was one lucky puppy.

Blessings,

Elaine

Annie K said...

You totally know that Lucky will be waiting for you in heaven. In fact, he's probably leaving 'pupkisses' all over the windows of heaven while he's looking down at you and waiting for the day he'll see you again. I'm sure of it Candy. ;)

Sherri Murphy said...

I am crying my eyes out! I hate it when a pet dies.

Maybe Lucky will meet Roxie (the only dog in stilettos in heaven) and they'll swap some goof stories!

What a precious video.
What a precious life.

Helen said...

I am so sorry. I know you love Lucky, and he loves you.

wife.mom.nurse said...

So heartbreaking to loose a pet...they are truly part of the family.

Praying for you...

~Julie

Stephanie Wetzel said...

So sorry, Candy. But I think the tribute you wrote on Lucky's behalf was wonderful. Hopefully it brought you a smile in the midst of the sadness.

And I'm totally stealing the word "pupkisses." I assume that's the slobbery smear that dogs leave all over windows that doesn't come off with ordinary Windex? If so, our house is covered in pupkisses.

Thank you for sharing Lucky Puppy with more people than just your family. He'll be remembered by many now. And we'll all be eager to see him on the other side of the bridge. (I'm sure we'll all bring treats, so you should tell us his favorites.)

Love Steph

Brenda said...

Oh my goodness, I was weeping watching that sweet video. So sorry for your loss.

~*Michelle*~ said...

I am so sorry you had to say goodbye to your family member...sounds like he blessed your life as you did his.

xox

Sarah said...

Delighted to meet you! Just found your site through a friend. Thought I would splash around a bit. Glad I did. I'll be back.

Blessings from Costa Rica,
Sarah Dawn

Post a Comment