Sunday, June 8, 2008

pRaYeRs for a rAiNy sUnDaY

There's something to be said for a day that God has literally made me a prisoner in my own home. I guess prisoner is rather strong - "blessed me with chosen captivity?" The rain has not stopped for nearly 24 hours, to the point that gutters are overflowing, the pond is at it's brink and dribbling over the edge, and the grass (aka hayfield) that was mowed yesterday will be another inch taller tomorrow. I don't think R's blisters from the last mower marathon have healed yet. So with tornado warnings, torrential rain, and streets filled with rushing water, I'm not budging, though the only place I'd intended to go was the gym. And maybe for a few groceries. Pasta will do us for yet another night. Pair that with random left-overs and we won't starve. I have eggs and free asparagus, so an asparagus popover may be in order. One serving of lettuce which can be easily stretched for two. One sweet potato which would serve two, but Mr. Picky won't eat that. So I've spent the day between doing a work project (sounds so much more important than a "mandatory annual assignment") and cleaning bathrooms, putting up the rest of the screens (irony - can't even open the windows!), and the ever-present dusting, vacuuming, and laundry. But had this been a sunny day I would have taken a very long bike ride and gotten nothing else done. I would have ridden for hours into God's country. I woke up with the "I need to get away from it all" mindset. God had different plans - His persistent "wherever you go, there you are" control that He frequently reminds me about. So despite invites from two different friends for different entertainment options, I stayed here, moped a bit, prayed for some answers to a few questions weighing on my mind, one of which was "How could I lose the key to the $49,000 car that was entrusted to me this weekend and where is it?" Only One knows the answers.

And for sure, my back goes out more than I do.
Tea tonight: Green with pink grapefruit - "Sip for the Cure"