Saturday, July 12, 2008

Good Bye to a Gentle Giant

Michael DeBakey, MD. I heard him speak several times, but only on TV. I remember at the time feeling such admiration and respect for a man I never met, but who had such an impact on my heart of hearts, different from many of the physical hearts he saved. What profound gifts this man was given, not just in the talent, intelligence, ingenuity, and surgical prowess, but in his Christian heart that was so gentle, so giving, so dedicated. This humble man embraced the entire spectrum of human nature with his gifts, from the honored to the dishonored, the rich and poor, the old and the young; nobody was undeserving of his service. His pioneering procedures saved my dad's life - twice. I studied his work as a worried daughter, and a questioning caregiver, and a determined nurse. Thank you, Dr. DeBakey, for all you gave to the world. You have left it a better place. At some time everyone will be blessed and touched deeply with your service, if they haven't been already. And to think your heroes were -- your parents.
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." ~Isaac Newton
Tea today: Earl Grey Green