Saturday, July 5, 2008

Memories: Best of 4th of July Weekend

  1. Twizzlers
  2. Smell of boat gas
  3. 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 (counting heads bobbing in the river)
  4. "Mom, can I have a pop?"
  5. "Dad, can I drive the boat?"
  6. Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen (with the occasional forgotten "top o' the ear")
  7. "He threw sand on me!!"
  8. Sleeping prone across the back of the boat.
  9. Boat songs! Peter Cetera (Next Time I Fall, Glory of Love), Whitney Houston (Greatest Love of All), James Ingram/Linda Rondstadt (Somewhere Out There)....too many more to list
  10. "I'm hungry"
  11. Sleepy, sun-drenched child crumped in lap. The musty smell of life jacket not able to drown that wonderful "baby smell."
  12. "I wanna ride the ski rocket/ski biscuit."
  13. "Do I hafta wear my life jacket?"
  14. Gassing up at Babe's dock.
  15. "Gramma, can we still come up here when you die?"
  16. What kind of chicken do you want? "I'll have the drumsticks." I'll have the drumsticks." "I'll have the head."
  17. B-4 (Barn Brunch by Bayliner)
  18. "Whoa, look at that one!" (at fireworks, anchored in the bay at DBQ)
  19. DQ - Dyersville
  20. (Brushing tangled hair) "That hurts!!"
  21. St. Feriole Railroad ice cream car
  22. The smell of after-river, after-bath, after-lotion children in clean jammies.
  23. Blankies. Three of them.
  24. "I hafta go to the bathroom."
  25. Feeling, knowing, sensing Him in the water lapping on fiberglass, wind in my face, and tree-laden bluffs.
  26. The Carry. Up the stairs upon arrival home. Heavy with sleep. Sand in their hair. Loved. Safe. Home.

There's one thing we never did together while sequestered as a family in the boat, and I regret that. I think of how blessed, protected and cared for we were. Shame on me. That's the only part I'd do over.

Tea today: Maa Feng